Experienced Guidance For Wills And Estates
Estate Planning And Probate Lawyers Serving North Georgia
A good estate plan protects family wealth and makes your wishes known. It is important that your will and estate planning documents are clear and comprehensive to avoid family conflicts and legal disputes. At Sams, Larkin & Huff, LLP, our attorneys work with you to provide tailored estate planning and efficient estate administration.
- We ensure your assets will be distributed in the manner you desire in the event of your death.
- We create guidance for your loved ones and medical providers if you become incapacitated.
- We shepherd appointed executors through the Georgia probate process.
Estate Planning: Getting Your Affairs In Order
Our lawyer will walk you through many scenarios to make sure your goals and your concerns are reflected in your estate planning documents. Putting your wishes in writing provides peace of mind and predictability.
- Your will – A last will and testament declares your heirs and what part of your estate each will inherit. If you died without a will, your assets would be divided per the Georgia laws of succession, in ways you never intended. A will can also nominate a guardian for your minor children and express your funeral wishes.
- Powers of attorney – A durable power of attorney gives control of your finances and business affairs to a person of your choosing in the event of your mental or physical incapacity. A health care power of attorney provides similar authority to make medical decisions on your behalf. These powers can be as broad or as limited as you desire.
- A living will – Also known as an advance directive, this document spells out your specific wishes regarding medical intervention, life support and end-of-life care. A living will allows you to die with dignity and spares your family from wrenching decisions.
- Estate planning trusts – A trust places assets separate from your estate on behalf of your named beneficiaries. Trusts bypass the probate process and enable you to accomplish specific goals. We can advise on revocable and irrevocable trusts for asset preservation, controlled inheritance, gifts to charity, or providing for a family member with special needs.
Estate Administration: Relief From Probate Burdens
Probate is the legal process for winding down the estate of a person who has died. We counsel individuals who have been named in the will as executor or (in the absence of a will) appointed as personal representative. Our attorneys provide legal advice and assistance for the list of duties, such as:
- Opening the estate in probate court
- Marshaling all the assets
- Paying debts and taxes of the estate
- Liquidating property
- Distributions to heirs and beneficiaries
- Accounting and reporting
Probating a relative’s will can be frustrating and time-consuming, especially if you live in another part of Georgia or out-of-state. Our goal is to make the probate process as efficient and painless as possible while minimizing the expense and intrusion.
We also represent estate representatives or family members in will contests and probate litigation, such as allegations of undue influence or breach of fiduciary duty.
Arrange Your Estate Planning Or Probate Consultation
We are glad to discuss our services and your needs in greater detail. To schedule a session with an attorney of Sams, Larkin & Huff, LLP, call 770-884-4819 or contact us online. Based in Marietta, we serve clients throughout Metro Atlanta and surrounding North Georgia.