Garvis L. Sams, Jr., Senior and Managing Partner of Sams, Larkin, Huff & Balli, LLP, has practiced law for thirty (30) years and is admitted for practice before the Georgia Supreme Court, Georgia Court of Appeals, U.S. District Court, U.S. Court of Appeals (Eleventh Circuit) and the United States Supreme Court. His leadership within the community and of Sams, Larkin, Huff & Balli, LLP, continues the tradition begun in 1956 by Mr. Sams' father, Garvis L. Sams, Sr., whose law practice was also located in Marietta, Georgia. Mr. Sams, a lifelong resident of the City of Marietta , has three (3) grown daughters and resides there with his wife, Cloma.
Mr. Sams is experienced in all areas of general civil trial practice and handles real estate litigation, construction litigation, eminent domain proceedings, personal injury claims, estate planning and administration, rezoning and entitlement matters and land acquisition and development issues. Additionally, Mr. Sams and other attorneys within Sams, Larkin, Huff & Balli, LLP are registered lobbyists in the State of Georgia and have represented local governments in zoning and condemnation matters, tax issues, civil litigation, risk management and personnel matters.
Mr. Sams was named named one of Georgia’s Super Lawyers® in the field of Land Use/Zoning in 2011 and 2012.
- Areas of Practice:
- Condemnation / Eminent Domain Law
- Local Government Law
- Land Use Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Defense Litigation
- Estate Planning & Administration
- Real Estate Acquisitions and Development
- Civil Litigation
- Bar Admissions:
- Georgia, 1979
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1979
- Georgia Court of Appeals, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1982
- Woodrow Wilson College of Law, Atlanta, Georgia,
- The University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia,
Major: English Literature
- Representative Clients:
- Ashton Woods Homes
- BrandsMart USA
- Brooks Chadwick Capital
- Columbia Properties, Inc.
- Coro Realty Advisors
- Glock, Inc.
- Green Street Properties
- Jamestown Properties
- Lowe's Home Centers, Inc.
- Mall Properties, Inc.
- North American Properties
- North Georgia Presbyterian Homes, Inc.
- PEC Development Group
- Pace Academy
- Pollo Tropical
- Prime Interest, Inc.
- RB Capital, LLC
- RaceTrac Petroleum, Inc.
- Ryland Homes
- The Sembler Company
- The Shopping Center Group
- Trammel Crowe Residential
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- Various Courses Related to Zoning and Land Use Law and Litigation, Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Various Courses Related to Zoning, Planning and Code Enforcement, Georgia Association of Zoning Administrators
- Zoning & Condemnation Seminar, Cobb County Bar Association
- Honors and Awards:
- Georgia Legal Leader (James Magazine), 2005 - 2007
- Legion of Honor (Marietta Kiwanis Club), 2006
- Supreme Court of Georgia Mentor, 2008 - Present
- Named one of Georgia's Best Lawyers by Fulton County Daily Report, 2009
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Cobb County Bar Association, 1983 - 1984
- Former President YLD & Trustee
- Cobb County Bar Association, 1979 - Present
- American Bar Association, 1979 - Present
- State of Georgia Bar Association, 1979 - Present
- Marietta Kiwanis Club, 1988 - 1989
- Marietta Kiwanis Club, 1980 - Present
- Leadership Cobb, 1983 - 1984
- Honorary Commanders Association, 1984 - 1985
- Kennesaw Wellstar Regional Hospice, 1986 - 1987
- Kennesaw Wellstar Regional Hospice, 1983 - 1987
- Red Cross Advisory Board, 1986 - 1987
- Past Employment Positions:
- County Attorney for Cobb County, Georgia, 1979 - 1987
- Ancillary Businesses:
- Registered Lobbyist, State of Georgia