Garvis L. Sams Jr.
Garvis L. Sams, Jr., Managing Partner of Sams, Larkin, Huff & Balli, LLP has practiced law for thirty-five (35) years and is admitted for practice before the Georgia Supreme Court, Georgia Court of Appeals. U.S. District Court, U.S.Court of Appeals (Eleventh Circuit) and the United States Supreme Court. His leadership within the community and of Sams, Larkin, Huff & Balli, LLP continues the tradition beginning in 1956 by Mr. Sams' father, Garvis L. Sams. Sr., whose law practice was also located in Marietta. Georgia. Mr. Sams, a lifelong resident of the City of Marietta has three (3) grown daughters a grandson and resides there with his wife, Cloma.
Mr. Sams is experienced in all areas of general civil trial practice and handles real estate litigation, construction litigation, eminent domain proceedings, estate planning and administration, rezoning and entitlement matters and land acquisition and development issues. Additionally, Mr. Sams and other attorneys within Sams, Larkin, Huff & Balli, LLP are registered lobbyists in the State of Georgia and have represented local governments in zoning and condemnation matters, tax issues, civil litigation, risk management and personnel matters.
Mr. Sams was named one of Georgia's Super Lawyers in the field of Land Use/Zoning in 2011 and 2012.
Areas of Practice
- 20% Local Government Law
- 20% Condemnation / Eminent Domain Law
- 20% Real Estate Acquisitions and Development
- 35% Land Use, Real Estate and Civil Litigation
- 5% Estate Planning and Administration
- 35% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Georgia, 1979
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1979
- Georgia Court of Appeals, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1982
- Woodrow Wilson College of Law, Atlanta, Georgia
- J.D. - 1978
- The University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
- B.A. - 1975
- Major: English Literature
- Ashton Woods Homes
- Branch Capital
- BrandsMart USA
- Chatham Neighborhoods
- Columbia Properties, Inc.
- Coro Realty Advisors
- David Weekly Homes
- Fuqua Acquistions
- Glock Inc.
- Green Street Properties
- Jamestown Properties
- JLL Realty
- Lowe's Home Centers, Inc.
- Mall Properties, Inc.
- North American Properties
- North Georgia Presbyterian Homes Inc.
- Pace Academy
- Pacific Group
- Patrick Malloy Communities
- Pollo Tropical
- Prime Interest, Inc.
- RB Capital, LLC
- RaceTrac Petroleum, Inc.
- Ryland Homes
- The Sembler Company
- The Shopping Center Group
- Trammel Crowe Residential
- Venture Homes
- Bank of North Georgia
- Bank of America
- United Community Bank
- Various Courses Related to Zoning and Land Use Law and Litigation, Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Various Courses Related to Zoning, Planning and Code Enforcement, Georgia Association of Zoning Administrators
- Zoning & Condemnation Seminar, Cobb County Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Georgia Legal Leader (James Magazine), 2005 - 2007
- Legion of Honor (Marietta Kiwanis Club)
- Supreme Court of Georgia Mentor, 2008 - 2014
- Named one of Georgia's Best Lawyers by Fulton County Daily Report
- Named as one of Georgia's Super Lawyers (Land Use/Zoning), 2011 & 2012
- Recognized by the Georgia State Senate in 2014 for more than 30 years of legal excellence and service to his clients as one of the preeminent zoning and land development attorneys in the metro Atlanta area
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Cobb County Bar Association, Former President YLD & Trustee, 1983 - 1984
- Cobb County Bar Association, 1979 - Present
- American Bar Association, 1979 - Present
- State of Georgia Bar Association, 1979 - Present
- Marietta Kiwanis Club, President , 1988 - 1989
- Leadership Cobb, 1983 - 1984
- Honorary Commanders Association, 1984 - 1985
- Kennesaw Wellstar Regional Hospice, Chairman, 1986 - 1987
- Kennesaw Wellstar Regional Hospice, 1983 - 1987
- Red Cross Advisory Board, 1986 - 1987
- Wellstar Hospice Advisory Board, 2010 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- County Attorney for Cobb County, Georgia, 1979 - 1987
- Registered Lobbyist, State of Georgia