James Alan Wilson Balli
James A. W. Balli is a partner at Sams, Larkin, Huff & Balli, LLP and is admitted to the State Bar of Georgia (1999) and the State Bar of Alabama (2000). In addition to all trial level courts in Georgia and Alabama, Mr. Balli is admitted to practice before the Georgia Supreme Court, the Georgia Court of Appeals, the Alabama Supreme Court, the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals, the United States District Court for the Middle and Northern Districts of Georgia and the Middle District of Alabama, the Armed Forces Board of Contract Appeals and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit (GA, AL, FL).
Mr. Balli focuses a large part of his practice on local governmental relations in the field of entitlements required for development which include everything from permitting to full zoning approval and has obtained approval of numerous projects with a combined value in excess of a billion dollars. Most recently, Mr. Balli is proud to represent the Atlanta Braves and their related entities in the entitlement of SunTrust Park (opening day 2017) and the Ballpark Village mixed-used development that will be adjacent to the Stadium. (www.cobbcounty.org/images/documents/boc/braves/Filed%20Application.pdf); www.mdjonline.com/view/full_story/25447325/article-5-0--Braves-in-zone-of-their-own.
In addition to his governmental relations practice, Mr. Balli is an experienced litigator representing clients in federal and state litigation throughout the trial and appellate courts of Georgia and Alabama, including the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Early in his career, Mr. Balli gained experience in the area of governmental liability successfully representing the Georgia Department of Corrections and the Georgia Department of Human Resources in numerous federal and state litigation actions and now represents clients with claims that involve the plaintiff’s side of governmental liability. Mr. Balli also represents numerous clients and companies in commercial litigation, insurance coverage claims, land acquisition, contract disputes and general civil litigation.
In addition to governmental liability and regulatory experience, Mr. Balli has previously represented numerous insurance companies in coverage disputes and personal injury defense. Utilizing the knowledge and experience gained while defending insurance companies, Mr. Balli now actively represents personal injury plaintiffs in catastrophic injury and wrongful death claims throughout the Southeast. Representing the plaintiff, Mr. Balli has recovered verdicts and settlements for clients ranging from hundreds of thousands to several million dollars.
Mr. Balli is also a veteran of the United States Air Force and was attached to the 908th Air Wing (AFRC) located at Maxwell Air Force Base, Montgomery, Alabama. Receiving an honorable discharge from the Air Force, a Bachelor of Science in Political Science and a law degree, Mr. Balli became active in state and local politics working in various campaigns both as staff and as legal counsel.
During the 2014 Legislative Session, Mr. Balli served as Special Counsel to the Georgia State Senate Judiciary Committee/Chairman. The Senate Judiciary Committee acts on all legislation affecting judicial proceedings dealing with civil procedure and practice. Its jurisdiction also includes civil liberties as well as governmental information and constitutional amendments.
Areas of Practice
- Complex litigation in Federal and State Courts in Georgia and Alabama
- Insurance Coverage and Bad-Faith litigation
- Construction litigation and Arbitration
- Wrongful Death and Catastrophic Injury
- Personal Injury claims
- Corporate disputes and litigation
- Land-Use and Zoning
- Governmental Relations
- 50% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, Macon, Georgia
- J.D. - 1999
- Honors: With Distinction
- Georgia College and State University, Milledgeville, Georgia
- B.S. - 1996
- Honors: With Distinction
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Political Science
- Hooks v. McCondichie, 330 Ga. App. 583, (Cert. denied) (2015)
- Henry et al. v. Cherokee County, Georgia, 290 Ga. App. 355 (2008)
- Dep't of Human Resources v. Nation, 265 Ga. App. 434 (2004)
- Ashmore et al. v. J.P. Thayer Co., Inc., 303 F.Supp.2nd 1359 (M.D. Ga. 2004)
- Thomas v. City of Columbus, Georgia, 198 F.Supp.2nd 1360 (M.D. Ga. 2002)
- Prescott v. Builders' Transport, Inc., 251 Ga. App. 280 (2001)
- Atlanta National League Baseball Club, Inc.
- BRED CO, LLC.
- General counsel for BrandsMart USA in the State of Georgia
- Mr. Mike Plant, President, Atlanta Braves
- Gregory Heller, Esq., Senior VP and General Counsel, Atlanta Braves
- Mr. Lary Sinewitz, Vice President BrandsMart USA
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The American Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- State Bar of Georgia, Member
- State Bar of Alabama, Member
- Cobb County Bar Association, Member
- Cobb County Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Registered Lobbyist with the State of Georgia
- The Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- United States Air Force, 1992 - 2000
- Georgia Registered Lobbyist
- Phi Alpha Delta